Thursday, February 26, 2009

Wisdom from Forrest Gump

Remember the movie Forrest Gump? I loved that movie. It has been said that the world will never be the same once you have seen it through the eyes of Forrest Gump. And how true that is!

A couple of nights ago, Joel reminded me of one of one of the lines from that movie. Forrest’s mama, played by Sally Fields, is on her deathbed, dying of cancer. She has a conversation with her son Forrest, a mentally challenged adult, played by Tom Hanks. She is doing her best to explain to him that she is dying.

Forrest Gump: What's the matter, Momma?
Mama Gump: I'm dyin', Forrest. Come on in, sit down over here.
Forrest Gump: Why are you dyin', Momma?
Mama Gump: It's my time. It's just my time. Oh, now, don't you be afraid, sweetheart. Death is just a part of life. It's something we're all destined to do. I didn't know it, but I was destined to be your momma. I did the best I could.
Forrest Gump: You did good, Momma.

Good stuff, indeed, but the conversation didn’t stop there.

Mama Gump: Well, I happened to believe you make your own destiny. You have to do the best with what God gave you.
Forrest Gump: What's my destiny, Momma?
Mama Gump: You're gonna have to figure that out for yourself. Life is a box of chocolates, Forrest. You never know what you're gonna get.


I guess in many ways like a box of chocolates. But there’s just one thing. When I am fortunate enough to be the recipient of a box of chocolates, I might take a bite of one and realize that what I’ve selected does not really appeal to me. So I can simply throw it away.

But not this time. Life has given me one of those chocolates that I don’t really care for…you know, like those hard, chewy pink- or orange-centered chocolates. I’d just as soon put it back for someone else, or better yet, throw it away so that no one else has to eat it.

But that’s not an option this time, is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If only we could throw it away so that no one has to...

Tamara