Sunday, February 08, 2009

If only...

We've just learned that my mom has cancer.

If you know my mom, if you've been around my mom in the last few years, if you love my mom like so many people do, then I imagine you felt that same sense of shock that I did when we received the news on Friday. Perhaps, like mine, your heart already feels a bit of its brokenness because of the looming questions and decisions that we must face. Or maybe you feel a sharp pain in your gut that I'm sure is some primal instinct we get when we want to turn tail and run, but realize we are trapped. But I pray that you also feel God's calming, soothing presence surrounding you, as I did while we listened carefully to the doctor's words.

If only it had been "just" pneumonia.

We don't know much, but already we do know that the next few weeks will likely be full of anxiety, questions, uncertainties, and decisions. The first round of test results is due back early this week, hopefully Tuesday. At that point, we will begin to discern the best way forward. I suppose the best way to keep folks abreast of all that is going on is via this blog, at least for now, so that's what I will do. In the meantime, we ask for your prayers and your support. I believe both can make an impossible situation bearable, both are powerful witnesses to our common bond in life and faith, and both are gifts we can share.


I receive a daily devotional from the Henri Nouwen Society , then send it out to my Emory students. They are always good, and occasionally seem eerily appropriate. Such was the case today.

Care, the Source of All Cure

Care is something other than cure. Cure means "change." A doctor, a lawyer, a minister, a social worker-they all want to use their professional skills to bring about changes in people's lives. They get paid for whatever kind of cure they can bring about. But cure, desirable as it may be, can easily become violent, manipulative, and even destructive if it does not grow out of care. Care is being with, crying out with, suffering with, feeling with.
Care is compassion. It is claiming the truth that the other person is my brother or sister, human, mortal, vulnerable, like I am.When care is our first concern, cure can be received as a gift. Often we are not able to cure, but we are always able to care. To care is to be human.


Friends, may we all learn the gift of CARING first, and may the cures we seek--as daughters, doctors, earth-lovers, teachers, friends, ministers, relatives, counselors, writers, and people-lovers--may they grow out of the deep care that we have for one another.

God bless each of you, now and always.

10 comments:

Whitney said...

God bless you too, Jill, and your family. I'm praying for you all and caring from this part of the world.

Stephanie Newton said...

Jill,
I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I'll be praying that the news is better than hoped for.

Steph

Anonymous said...

Jill -

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. One resource one of my folks used when he had cancer was www.carepages.com for updates and information.

Love to you all.

Betsy said...

Jill,

I join the others in offering my prayers and thoughts.

Along with knittinpreacher, I'll offer another site: caringbridge.com provides a similar platform for updating family/friends on journeys through illness.

I'll be thinking of you and your family - praying for deep care and peace, even amid the uncertainties of these days.

Betsy

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill, Im so sorry its more involved than first thought. of course all good wishes and prayers here for you whole gang.

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill,
I'm so sorry and you have my prayers. I 2nd the suggestion to look at carepages.com. My chiropractor's father was recently diagnosed with lung cancer, stage 3 and she has mentioned carepages as a wonderful site.

Enjoy your vacation surrounded by the love of your boys/men.

If there is anything I can do....please let me know.

I love you Jill!

Ouida said...

Jill,
I am thinking and praying for you and Callie. May you feel God's arms around you.

Ouida

Anonymous said...

Jill, am praying for your mom, dad and extended family - and of course for you. Your comments about care v. cure remind me of the difference between cure and healing as well. As you go forward, may healing be a as much a part of the journey as caring is.

Anonymous said...

Jill,
I'm so sorry. Please send mine and my family's love and support along to your mom and dad, and give yourself a big hug from me. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that cancer sucks. I'm so sick of seeing people suffer from it.
Lynne

Mandy said...

May a peace that passes all understanding guard your hearts and minds. I just wrote my own thoughts on Cancer here: http://revmamaflemming.blogspot.com/2009/02/open-letter-to-cancer.html

Peace be with you all,
Mandy