Sunday, March 08, 2009

Weekend Update

Just a quick update to let you all know that as of this afternoon, Mom is now under care of Hospice Atlanta. While we expect to have her with us for a good bit longer, this is a good thing because she can get all the medical care that she needs right at home. That means we won't have to spend our time trekking up and down North Decatur Road to Emory. And it means that a nurse can help her with the draining procedure every now and then, and she will have folks who care about her and those of us who are her family caregivers who know about this whole cancer process checking on her (and on us), helping her figure out the right pain medication, etc. She will have a health professional that is available for her 24 hours a day, whenever she has a problem or a question or just needs someone to talk to.

The hard part for me is that it also is a real, concrete acknowledgement that my mom is dying. It is admission that she will not get better, but rather worse, as time goes on. But we continue to strive to enjoy the day...this day...and not worry about tomorrow. It is, indeed, a good lesson for us all.

Continued gratitude for your prayers and other signs of love and support--cards, flowers, meals, etc. All of that helps more than you can ever know.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad. And so sorry.
Dell

Marci Glass said...

I am so glad that hospice will be able to minister to you all, providing care for your mom so that you can best enjoy your time together.
You all remain in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

we've had Kimbo here this weekend Jill and the new baby for the first time so I've been so busy...so glad to hear about Hospice..they are wonderful...love and hugs to you all prayers and peace to Attee Connie

Anonymous said...

Jill, I've been keeping up with your blog but I believe this is my first time to comment. So glad to hear about this bit of good news. Home hospice care was such a wonderful help to my grandmother at the end of my grandfather's life.

Love and prayers, as always. :)

Mary Jane said...

Jill, I just learned that you have a blog. I had heard your mother has cancer but not that she's in hospice. Please know that she, you, and all your family are in my prayers. Your comments about hospitality reminded me of my mother, who died 19 years ago. I pray that you will have unexpected times of joy with your mother in these days.
Mary Jane Cornell

Ashley Lamar said...

Prayers continue for your family.