Friday, January 28, 2011

Marking Time


Today I finally went to Batteries Plus with an old watch that belonged to Mom to get the battery replaced. (I've decided to try to start wearing a watch again because I don't want to be further tied to my cell phone just to see what time it is...). I commented to the young woman who helped me that my mom died a year or so ago and it was her watch. Then I smiled and added, "If only I could bring my mom in here for a new battery and everything would run just fine again, yeah?" She commented that she had lost her mom this past year, and it was hard for her too. We talked about how the "missing" just never seems to go away. I said a prayer for my friend Elizabeth who just lost her mom last week...far too soon. I wish I could tell her that it will feel normal once again, but at this point I can't. It is simply not normal, even yet, for me to not have Mom's physical presence here with me. The tears are few and far between, and the aching is gone, but I think I will always long for a hug from her. Always.

3 comments:

Eileen said...

I would love to say it will be better with time- it's been almost eleven years. I think it's harder now as I can't remember the sound of her voIce or her smell. I think we will always have a void where she should be.

Carol Lane said...

Hi Jill, this is beautiful. My Mom passed away a year ago this past Monday (1/24/10). And, I am getting ready to walk to Batteries plus to get batteries for a variety of things I need batteries for (I love living so near to them. They let me bring my dog in also). I send you my love and good wishes for the missing and for the love of your Mom.

I can't read watches very well anymore.

Also, my 8th grader at waldorf has a game in the RPC gym vs. Arbor today!


Carol Lane

Sarah said...

Jill, I have some jewelry and clothing that belonged to my mom that I enjoy wearing. I'll probably wear something on Thursday - 2/3 - the 6th anniversary of her death and the 89th anniversary of her birth. bittersweet week for sure.

Sarah