Thursday, May 21, 2009

Lunch?

So for weeks now, every time my fingers type the word "lung" when referring to Mom's health, they first type "lunch," then I have to go back and correct it. "Lunch" is an often-typed word in my line of work. I love lunch. Lunch is a pleasant thing. Until recently, I rarely, if ever, had the need to type out the word "lung." My fingers only just now do it correctly, and even so, I have to think very intentionally about it in order not to make the usual typo.

I have no idea what "lunch" cancer might look like, nor do I care to find out.

I do know that "lung" cancer is an awful, terrible thing. Lung cancer has taken the spirit out of my mom. Lung cancer has taken the smile from her face. Lung cancer is my most hated enemy right now.

We've been fighting with a bloated abdomen these past few weeks. We had first assumed it was related to the prednisone, which Mom was taking for pain and breathing both. However, when she stopped taking it, the bloating persisted. Yesterday, we went back to the oncologist for his opinion. Actually, we saw his PA since he's only in the office on Mondays. She confirmed that it was, indeed, fluid buildup, and to our dismay, suggested that it was likely a result of the spread of the cancer to another part of her abdomen. Not what we wanted to hear, but what I suspected. Because she is on Hospice, we won't be doing any scans to determine where it has moved, so we can only surmise. We leave the "healing" up to God, knowing that bodily healing is only possible on the "other side." But we can do things to keep her comfortable on this side. Today she goes for a simple procedure at Emory--draining of the abdominal cavity. We hope it will be much like the initial draining of her lung (I did it again...lunch), where she got immediate relief. At that time, they will decide whether or not to put in a permanent catheter like the one she already has for her right lung. For her sake, I hope this will not be deemed necessary, but if so, we will accept it and move on.

So to those of you who pray, please keep her...us...in yours. The combination of the discomfort, the difficulty breathing, and the cessation of the prednisone (which often causes extreme tiredness) have made for a rough few days at 2871. My sister Calli drove up yesterday and will take Mom for today's procedure while I go to Michael's awards day at school, then take Dad to a dental appointment. We anticipate that she will feel groggy most of today, and then hope for a much better day tomorrow once the abdominal pressure is relieved.

As the three of us...mother, daughter, and daughter...got in the car yesterday, I said, "Okay, let's just pretend now that we are going to a nice ladies' lunch, just the three of us. We're on our way to the Swan Coach House." They didn't really want to play along, but I liked the idea. We got there and were settled in the examining room a bit later, and I said, "Okay, now it's time for dessert. What will you have?" Mom resisted at first, saying didn't want any. I pushed. "Creme brulee," she said. "With raspberries and chocolate?" I asked. "Yes."

As we were checking out, I was taking Calli's dessert order and Mom said she wanted to change hers to Lemon Icebox Pie. Because she's my mom, I allowed it.

But I imagine on that "other side" she can have both Creme Brulee with raspberries and chocolate AND Lemon Icebox Pie. And that both will taste heavenly.

4 comments:

LeeAnne said...

Oh honey. There are no words. Just tears and hugs and the sure knowledge that the prayers of many are with you. I've asked my angels to help you too. They assure me they are with you all. They also tell me that the dessert tray in heaven is amazing. And unlimited.

Blessings my friend.

Saint George said...

Peace. My mother had the same symptoms and the catheter did provide relief; I hope that the doctors are able to treat your mom in ways that relieve tha pain and don't interfere with her quality of life. It is a wonderful gift that your mother is able to "join" you for a desert of creme bruelle with raspberries and chocolate. As always you all in my prayers.
Peace,
George

Anonymous said...

Dear Jill and all- my prayers and hugs are with you- I helped nurse my grandma at home in her battle with lung cancer- it was hard, but she got to stay at home, which was her deepest wish- we had hospice, as well- so I know the territory you are traveling through....I pray for you strength, and courage, and light..... Nancy Yao

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've heard the "save your fork" story. For those reading this who may not have: a woman who was dying asked to be buried with a fork in her hand. When her minister asked why, she said that at church suppers and family dinners, when you were told to "save your fork" it meant that there would be dessert; that there was something better coming. She said, "When people at funeral home see me and ask 'What's with the fork?' tell them that I wanted to save it because 'something better's coming.'
Love to all of you, Mary Jane C.
P.S. My favorite dessert as a child was my mother's lemon ice box pie; I bet she will have a piece for your mom waiting when she arrives.